Alexa can’t dial 911 on its own, but it can use third-party skills and external hardware to assist you in a crisis. Amazon’s Echo Connect, for example, will connect your Alexa system directly to a landline, allowing you to dial 911.
Amazon’s Echo Connect seems to have been a flop in the Alexa system family, as the company no longer sells it. However, if you have one lying around or want to buy one on a secondhand website like eBay, it might be the ideal solution. Echo Connect was first introduced as a small box that could be attached to your landline and used as a speakerphone for your Echo devices.
Follow these steps to set up Echo Connect:
- Place your Echo Connect near your modem or phone jack and plug it in.
- Use a splitter adapter on the telephone jack to create two connections if you need to plug in a standard telephone handset alongside Echo Connect.
- Next, open the Alexa app on your smartphone.
- Select the Settings option from the drop-down menu.
Add Device is the next choice, followed by Amazon Echo.
- To complete the setup, select Echo Connect.